Thursday, August 11, 2016

#TAABeauty Young Artist Spotlight: Ensemble Member Kylee Gardner!

There's a truism in musical theater that says "The Ensemble makes or breaks the show" -- and Kylie Gardner is definitely an ensemble member that "makes" it!  Her high energy and every-moment enthusiasm on stage have been an integral part of TAA's first season, in the Nutcracker Ballet, Madama Butterfly (which wasn't even this 8th grader's first opera!), and now we are so happy to have her not only in the #TAABeauty ensemble but also as a featured soloist in the TAAJuniorCo Pre-show!  We asked this young artist about her life in theater so far and the balancing act of school and performing arts... 

You've done a lot of performing projects already in your life! What are some of the things you've been in? Annie, Alice in Wonderland, The Music Man, The Wizard of Oz, Cinderella,
Tosca, The Nutcracker, Madame Butterfly, The Fresno Grand Opera Christmas on Van Ness (twice), Beauty and the Beast, and yearly school Christmas plays since Kindergarten. My favorite play was the Music Man because everyone in 6th, 7th, and 8th grade (at my school) had a part.

Why musical theater?  
I chose to do theater because, I love to sing. It also very interesting to see how other people interpret there characters. I enjoy theater because I can tell a story to people of all ages. 

We've known you long enough now to know that you have an amazing work ethic, not just for your age but for any age!  What drives you, and how do you balance also being a good student?  
What drives me is the fact I can bring joy to people by singing and dancing. Study and practice is a balancing act, but I try to work hard and finish homework at school.

Everyone who has done theater has some stories... what is your weirdest moment so far? 
I have to say that the weirdest thing I've gotten to do on stage was have to pretend that one of my friends was my boyfriend for the Music Man.
What has been your favorite part of the rehearsal process for #TAABeauty?
 My favorite part of the rehearsal process for Beauty and the Beast was when we all came together as a cast and worked on making some of the costumes, painting the sets, and building them.

Who do you think should come and see #TAABeauty? Everyone!
Kylie in the Grace Christian School production of "The Music Man"
Come and see Kylie and the rest of the fantastic Beauty and the Beast cast at LJ Williams theater August 18-21! 
Tickets at 
Or by calling 559-972-8417

No comments:

Post a Comment