Friday, August 5, 2016

#TAABeauty Cast Spotlight: Featured Dancer LeAnn Medina!

Featured Dancer LeAnn Medina is a treasure in Visalia's young artist's community.  She has been part of TAA since our first production, appearing as Clara in the Nutcracker Ballet and we are so glad she is with us!  A sophomore at Golden West High School,  she is not only a competitive dancer but a member of youth symphony as a cellist.  We can hardly wait to see what the future brings for this passionate and dedicated artist!  

You have a beautiful start to your life as a performing artist -- could you tell us some of your background so far?  
I havvvve to start with DANCE!  I started classes at 6 years old and I currently dance at Elite
Dance Acadamy.  I've been studying dance for nine years!  My family did not have enough money to consistently afford dance classes so my aunt helped me out for 8 years financially, but now I'm a teacher assistant which helps pay for the tuition and dance team costs.  I'm in the Golden West "Illusions" dance team as well 

My favorite part of dance is just the feeling of being free in the movement. A dancer knows the feeling of being on stage. Every art has some sort of original feeling of happiness and just loving what you're doing.  When I was five years old I watched Barbie in the Nutcracker every day for a whole year!  My parents always snuck by and caught me dancing the the final pas de deux of the Nutcracker, which at five was just thrashing, jumping, and flailing, but you know what? It brought me to the great world of dance competitions, musicals, and I actually got to dance that final Pas de Deux in TAA's Nutcracker last year!  With no flailing!!
I also play the CELLO! In 5th grade we were given an option of playing an instrument of any

choice. I wanted to play the violin until I heard a teacher play the cello, and I fell in love with the wide variety of tones! It can go all the way to violin land but it can still go quite low similar to a bass.  I'm grateful that I continue to get scholarships for private lessons.  My favorite part of playing the cello is that music is the one language that everyone can understand. Everyone that plays sends a certain feeling to an audience. Whether it be a sad feeling, angry feeling, or cheerful feeling. We all can get it no matter what language they speak. 

You're a competitive dancer -- tell us about that? 
I've competed for 9 years now and it is a tough game. There are many great dancers out there, but in the long run all of us, as a team, aim for improving ourselves and having fun! Many dancers are aware of Starpower, Hollywood Connection, Nuvo, NYCDA, and many other comps. We perform in front of many famous choreographers that are usually from "So You Think You Can Dance" or just famous choreographers in general. Great experience and nothing can match the feeling of passion and adrenaline on stage! And the feeling of winning is great too!

Now you've added musical theater to your list...
I've had some experience on musical theater when my studio had classes for it. Really, if you can find a dancer that can sing and read notes, the equation is all set. The hard part is doing that together. At the same time.  But you know what? The best and great old cure is (surprise surprise) practicing!  I absolutely love musical theater because it combines the two things I love most! Singing and dancing!

What do the performing arts mean to you and to the community?
I probably wouldn't be who I am today without performing arts. It's given me many gifts and

happiness in my everyday life! What better way to share your story than through a dance routine, a song, or an instrument?  I feel that the arts can bring a community together because everybody enjoys it!

Who do you think will enjoy Theater Arts Alliance's production of Beauty and the Beast?
Everyone that's a human being that can just sit down and enjoy the great talents of the community that have produced such a great and beautiful production. Beauty and the Beast has a cast that I never knew would be so talented. To add on top of that, they are all from within our community!

See LeAnn and the rest of the fantastic #TAABeauty cast August 18-21 at Visalia's LJ Williams theater! 

For tickets call
559-972-8417 or visit Brown Paper Tickets Online!

No comments:

Post a Comment