Saturday, August 13, 2016

#TAABeauty Cast Spotlight: Sam Walls and David Reimer, "Lumiere"


Sam Walls
David Reimer
Sometimes there is a role in a show that you read through the script and think, "this has to have the perfect actor or the entire show falls flat."  Lumiere is one of those roles -- but we were lucky enough during the audition process to have the perfect actor show up not once, but twice!  Sam and David bring different shadings to the iconic character of Lumiere, but each performance is a stream of subtle and laugh out loud humor, fantastic dancing, and an unforgettable rendition of the classic song, "Be Our Guest." 
We're so happy to get to know these fine actors a little more here -- but you won't really know them until you see them on stage in Theater Arts Alliance's production of Disney's Beauty and the Beast! 



What do you do outside of theater?

 
David: I’m currently a student at the University of California, Santa Barbara majoring in Global Studies. I'm involved in the Model UN club on campus as well as the Chinese Language program. I love learning languages in my spare time when I'm not at the beach, hanging out with friends, or escaping to Disneyland with my partner in crime.


Sam: My hobbies include dancing really crazy in my room to Pandora, playing basketball with my church friends, the piano, and hanging out with my family. I currently just graduated from Visalia Charter Independent Study and I'm taking a year off to do some auditions in NYC. If nothing works out after this year, then I plan to go back to school to Point Loma Nazarene University to study Youth Ministry.


Tell us about Lumiere... what is he like and how is he integral to the story?

Sam: Lumiere, to me, is a very important role in the story of Beauty and the Beast, because he brings a huge comedic aspect that only a few roles have. He is a person/candlestick that never looks at the negative side of problems. Along with that, he can also turn sad, mad, in love, etc. within 10 seconds which I think, makes him a very unique character. Lumiere has just the right amount of personality to bring this show to life.

David: If you watch the show carefully, Lumiere is more than just comedic relief. He arguably plays the most essential role in reversing the spell by bringing Belle and the Beast together; he has a knack for being a unifier. Beyond that, he represents the idea hope and optimism can exist even during dark times: his joy and humor are illuminating!


What other theatrical projects have you done recently? What are some of your favorites? 

David: After I got to college, I became less active in theater as I would like but was still able to find time to perform. I’ve done two productions of "West Side Story" in my hometown of Reedley which were certainly theater highlights. I also did a little known Shakespeare show called “Cymbeline” and “Sound of Music” during my freshmen year of college. However, most of these shows pale in comparison to performing my own written show during my senior year of high school. Performing iconic shows is great but being able to write and produce your own show was a once in a lifetime opportunity. 

Sam: I've recently done shows that range from soft ballet, such as The Nutcracker Ballet for TAA, to more mature shows, such as South Pacific. Some of my favorite shows to be in were; Guys and Dolls, Godspell, Big River, and Cinderella.
 
Why musical theater? How is it important to you personally and to communities as a whole? 

Sam: The reason I do musical theater is because, obviously I love it. But it also helps me push out emotions that I couldn't normally show people in a regular conversation. It is much easier to put it into a character and perform in front of people. Especially if it is a negative thing because you could put it in a positive role and use it to make hundreds of people smile and that is definitely one of the best feelings in the world. Every community should have local theater because it brings so many different people together. It is one of the few things in life that anyone can do. No matter your ethnicity, gender, age, or religion. Theater is made for unique people. It's a second family.



David: Musical theater brings people of all Stars and Stripes together. It allows me to explore multiple facets of the human experience alongside people with whom I would not normally interact. Every rehearsal, 70+ children and adults come together with the single mission of putting together the best show possible. In a world that is increasingly divided, musical theater is a wonderful unifier.

Any immediate future plans/goals? In theater or life?


Sam: I have no immediate plans right now. I'm just trying to get to New York to do auditions. My goal in life is to entertain people. As long as I have people in front of me smiling, my life is pretty much complete. I also want to help kids find their dreams and realize that you do not have to stay in the Valley. Although I love my home and Visalia to the extreme, I know that staying here is not going to get me where I need to be.

David: I am entering my senior year of college and I'm trying to not keep my eggs in one basket. The great news is that I have many options to do exciting things around the world. Musical theater will not likely be in my future but it is certainly an integral part of my past and indicative to who I am today!
 
Who should come and see BnB and why? 

David:  I can't think of anyone person or group that would not enjoy this show. Everyone should see this show. Period.

Sam: 
I wish that I could bring every single person on Earth to see this show. It's an absolutely amazing production filled with such a perfect cast. Every person in this show has so much talent it's crazy. I may biased when I say this, but I truly believe that this is one of the best shows that has ever been in Visalia. I'm very blessed to be a part of this awesome production.

See David and Sam and the rest of the remarkable #TAABeauty cast
August 18-21 at Visalia's LJ Williams Theater!
Tickets online at




No comments:

Post a Comment