Thursday, August 11, 2016

#TAABeauty Cast Spotlight: Kelly Jones-Scott and Julie Valdez, "Mrs. Potts"

Kelly Jones-Scott
Julie Valdez
Meet Kelly Jones-Scott and Julie Valdez, both playing "Mrs Potts" in Theater Arts Alliance's upcoming production of Disney's Beauty and the Beast!  These women have graced many stages in the Central Valley and we are so excited that they are joining us to bring unique and enchanting performances as the very heart of the castle!

Kelly Jones-Scott is a Respiratory Care Practitioner at Valley Children's Hospital, and Julie? 

Julie: 

I am a stay at home mom that likes to keep pretty busy. I volunteer at my children's elementary school. I sing in a service choir that performs a 30 minute program at local convalescent hospitals, senior centers and such. We do this twice a year, at Christmas time and then again in the spring. I also am the choir director at my children's elementary school. I am on the Parent Board for my children's recreational swim team. I also am a Booster parent for the Selma Jr. High Band, the Selma High School Band and the Selma High School Choir. I am an organist at church and serve as an Enrichment Leader at church for our Women's Organization.

How did you get involved in theater? 

Kelly: 
I became involved with musical theater first as a stage mom. Both my children, Seth and Lauren, (both grow now with children of their own) were active in theater, dancing, singing, and some television. In 1999, I auditioned with Good Company Players Music Man and was cast and got to perform with both of my children. I have since been involved with many musicals, each role has
given me opportunity to make friends with many valuable warm people. I just seems like the people involved with theater are so special because they value quality relationships, creativity, and are there for each other when things go wrong. Nobody understands rejection more than people who risk it by auditioning. I have learned with every role and rejection how to be confident in my own person and how to find out who I am. 


Julie:Growing up I always wanted to do musical theater but lacked the confidence to try. I liked singing but was weary of speaking roles and my appearance. In 2013, when Selma announced a new Arts Center
being built and that there would be auditions for Sound of Music, my favorite musical, I knew I would regret it if I didn't at least try. I was bit by the theatrical bug and the rest is history. I love that my children have now caught that bug as well. My oldest daughter loves to do lighting and sound. My son and youngest daughter has enjoyed doing plays both at our local theater and with their school's drama club. I love that music and theater is for anyone and everyone. It's a universal language.

What other productions have you been in recently?

Julie: 
In the past I have had the pleasure of doing several shows in Selma, where I live. These include; Mother Abbess in The Sound of Music, Lt. Marshall in South Pacific, Ms. Andrew in Mary Poppins, Cinderella's Mother in Into the Woods, Mrs. Paroo in The Music Man, Fairy Godmother/ Voice of the Dragon in Shrek. I have learned something from each role and cast that I shared the stage with. I have loved getting to try out a few accents, too. I think Ms. Andrew has been a favorite so far. Who knew that playing a villain would be so much fun!



Kelly:  

My most recent outstanding theater experience was last summer when I portrayed The Bird Woman
in Clovis Centerstage Production of Mary Poppins. My son Seth played Bert, and my daughter in law Rachel was Katy Nanna. Rachel was also pregnant with my grandson Emmett. What fun it was to be on stage with 3 generations who love theater! Is really is for us a family affair!

How is the role of Mrs. Potts special to you?

Kelly: 

Every role I have played allows me to go deeper into myself by finding the part of me that identifies with my character or role. The process feels like falling in love.
Mrs Potts has been on my bucket list ever since I first saw the original Disney movie; I particularly appreciate Angela Lansbury's portrayal of the role. Mrs Potts brings to this story hope and love; she is

continually optimistic that the Beast will learn to love and become the "human " that he really is. I play the character as if her relationship with the Beast is the same as her relationship with her son chip. I look at the whole story as a "tale as old as time" she is telling Chip to teach him about love, relationships, and the man he to be. It's really quite beautiful!

Julie: I am very excited to play the role of Mrs. Potts. I love her motherly attitude and demeanor. I also love that she sings the title song in the show. It's fun to have such fun characters to interact with on stage.

Who should come and see TAA's production of Beauty and the Beast? 

Julie:

I hope anyone with children will come see this show. It teaches us that attitude is everything. Good attitudes reap good things, while bad attitudes don't. It also teaches that people are more than their appearances. Who we are inside is what is important! I am so very honored and excited to be part of this amazing production of Beauty and the Beast! 

See Kelly and Julie and the rest of the remarkable #TAABeauty cast
August 18-21 at Visalia's LJ Williams Theater!
Tickets online at
brownpapertickets.com
 

No comments:

Post a Comment