Tuesday, August 9, 2016

#TAABeauty Cast Spotlight... Vincent Macareno, The Beast



Vincent Macareno is not only an extremely promising young actor but already beginning his career as a theater producer and director.  It is such a privilege and joy to work with him and we can hardly wait for audiences to experience his thrilling portrayal of The Beast!  Here are some of his thoughts, experiences, and plans in theater and in life!




You're crazy enough to want to spend the rest of your life in the performing arts... why? I'm interested in music and theatre (and especially musical theatre!) because I think both of these mediums have the ability to touch people in ways that others can't. We, as theatre artists,
are very in tune with what we have come to embrace as "the human experience", and we thus have a responsibility to bring stories to life that have the capacity to make a substantial impact on people. The crazy thing about theatre, for me, is that we are told to sit down and watch two to three hours of what seems like such a specific, enticing story, and we leave finding that we have found ourselves in a certain character or relate to a certain aspect of the plot, and that's what draws me in. That's what makes me want to do this for a living. To be able to tell people that someone understands something that no one else seems to, and entertain them at the same time is such a gratifying experience.

You have already done many theater projects... do you have a favorite?It's hard to pick a favorite theatre project! Every single show I've been in has impacted my life
in some way or another. This may be biased, but my formal debut producing venture, RENT, has been incredibly rewarding, and would definitely take the top spot. I knew that I was in love with every single aspect of musical theatre (and theatre in general!), but this project proved it to me, and I loved being faced with the responsibility of bringing that production to life, regardless of whether or not it came into full fruition. I also had the privilege of being both on stage and behind the scenes, so it was a lot of fun. However, if I had to pick a project that was not my own, it would definitely be a tie between The Phantom of the Opera and Mary Poppins. I always say that Phantom is the one show I could do eight times a week and never get tired of, and it was my dream show for a long time. Not to mention, Monsieur Firmin is such a fun character to play. In regards to Mary Poppins, I received so much praise for that show, and I loved playing Mr. Banks. I feel like he's one of the characters that I truly made my own, not to mention, the entire cast was absolutely phenomenal!

What are your major artistic influences?  I of course have been influenced greatly by every single director/mentor/teacher I've ever worked with, both here in Visalia and in San Jose, and I feel like there's too many to name! Every single one of them leaves their stamp on me in very specific and profound ways, and I think it shows in all the work I do. I'm also extremely inspired by some of the incredibly
talented people working in the industry right now! Sierra Boggess would definitely be my biggest influence when it comes to dressing room traditions/backstage activities. I love her views on life, and it's because of her that I draw angel cards before every performance, as well as do things such as center myself, meditate, etc. Ramin Karimloo is my biggest inspiration, vocally. I sang the entire score of his and Sierra's cast recording of Phantom for a solid 4 years straight (that is not an exaggeration. Seriously, ask my parents what I sang in the shower for most of middle school/high school. I could literally do the entire show by heart!), and I genuinely would not be where I am now if it weren't for his incredibly powerful and awe-inspiring voice. Words can't describe how much I wanted to sound like him and have his range! It was also him that taught me that it is important to have something to say about the characters you portray, which is a philosophy I follow very strongly. My last inspiration, performance wise, is Ben Platt. He and I aren't too far apart, age-wise, and when I saw his performance in Dear Evan Hansen off-Broadway, I realized just how much an honest, raw performance can make a story and a character shine. Also, I have to mention that, as a director, I am greatly influenced by Michael Greif, who directed three of my favorite shows (two of which I already mentioned in my answers!), RENT, If/Then, and Dear Evan Hansen. His ability to capture everyday human life and make it a theatrical masterpiece is such an incredible talent, and there will never be a piece of theatre he helms that won't inspire me.

What is your process like?  Preparing for a role like Beast is actually much more taxing than one would expect. In playing this role thus far, it's incredible how much Beast taps into every single bit of training I've had. Acting wise, he is a man - or, rather, a Beast - of extremes. His temper is such an integral part of the narrative and I, as a performer, have to be relentless in bringing that out. Also, it's important to show how animalistic he's become, especially since if Beast isn't scary and monstrous and doesn't provide a stark contrast of when he begins to have a heart and is eventually transformed, then we lose the heart and prominence of the story. He also is such a tough character on the voice. All the growling and yelling and such does a number on my vocal chords, and I am always quick to continuously warm both down and up before and after scenes to make sure that I can maintain that gruff sound and still be able to sing when necessary. Lastly, I am always sure to bring more to my facial expressions and body language than usual, as I want to make sure that it will be able to read through my prosthetics when the time comes.

What's next for you?  What are your goals?
My long term goals are definitely to become an Equity actor and be able to perform for a living while also producing and directing projects that interest me, and be able to give back to the Visalia theatre community when I can. My top dream roles are Bruce Bechdel (Fun Home), Evan Hansen (Dear Evan Hansen), Alexander Hamilton (Hamilton), and Lucas (If/Then), to name just a few. My short-term goals are, of course, to get my degree in musical theatre, and deliver a captivating performance as Beast with this incredible cast!


Why do you think the performing arts, and especially theater arts, are important? Theatre is important to individuals because it allows us to connect with one another, both as performers and audience members. Especially in the world we live in today, connection is so important, and theatre is such an incredible vehicle for that. Plays and musicals have the ability to unite so many people, as well as create conversations about the life we choose to lead and the way our lives can touch others. Theatre has taught me more about myself than anyone or anything else; its established my morals, my philosophies on life, and what I want to see more of in the world, and I genuinely believe it has the power to do that for anyone who allows themselves to be immersed in this beautiful medium. Theatre is tremendously important to communities as well, because of how influential it can be. The fact that we are seeing other humans on a stage, breathing the same air as us, sharing in a holistic experience as we take a journey through a narrative we can't control is a very powerful thing, and it has an affect on our brains whether we want it to or not. Any production has the power to move mountains, whether it be in sparking a social revolution or even just paving the way for other productions to be able to do so, and no other industry can say that. I also think its important for communities to support the performing arts as a whole because I have always been a stern believer in following your passion, and allowing it to become your career. I've seen and heard of too many talented people leaving their dreams behind because of backlash from loved ones, widespread doubt, and other negative, third party influences. The support of these careers starts in the homes and communities of those who question whether or not to follow their dreams, and there is not a single entity that won't benefit from their eventual success.

Any thoughts on Theater Arts Alliance's upcoming production of Disney's Beauty and the Beast?I'm so excited to make my TAA debut with Beauty & the Beast! The cast and production team are all so talented, and it's definitely the most professional environment I've ever been in. I can tell this production is going to be one for the books, and I can't wait for everyone to see it!

See Vincent and the rest of the incredible #TAABeauty cast August 18-21st at the LJ Williams Theater in Visalia!
                     Tickets at Brown Paper Tickets Online!

1 comment:

  1. So inspiring! Can't wait to see Vincent and the whole brilliant cast of Beauty and the Beast!

    ReplyDelete