Tuesday, February 23, 2016

TAA Butterfly Spotlight: Ensemble/Uffiziale Adrian Oceguera

The Theater Arts Alliance production of Madama Butterfly is starting to take beautiful shape, and over the next few days I want to introduce the members of the cast, especially the fantastic chorus that provides some of the most exciting moments of the show! 

This spotlight is on Adrian Oceguera, an extremely talented tenor from Selma.  This is his first work in opera, and he has dived in wholeheartedly, even to the point of covering for the lead tenor during ensemble rehearsals!  Adrian also plays the secondary "Uffiziale" -- the official that oversees the marriage between Pinkerton and Cio-Cio San.  


What made you decide to join the Butterfly cast?
I have never, nor did I ever think I would, perform in an opera, and it seemed intriguing to me, so I took a jump and joined the cast. Plus, it was an easier decision knowing I could get my niece involved as well.

What is your favorite part of a rehearsal process?
My favorite part has always been learning a new song. The songs in this show have proven to be challenging, but are definitely helping everyone grow as musicians and people. 


How is Butterfly different and/or the same as other shows you've done? Well there's singing! While I've not been in many shows, almost all of them have involved singing. That's how they'd be the same. How they're different? Well, I'd say the difficulty has definitely been turned up a few notches, as well as it all being in a different language. 

What is your favorite section to sing? My favorite section is the one that starts with "Bello non e' in verita bello non e'," sung by the chorus. There are so many different parts going on at one time and you have to be perfect rhythmically and tonally for it to sound well. The challenge has been accepted by fellow singers and I. 


What is your "day job" and what are your other hobbies in life? I am a Software Developer for Madera Unified School District and I also own my own karaoke business. I consider myself a craft beer connoisseur and am also a competitive bowler. I've played in multiple bands throughout my time, playing both bass and guitar, and most recently opened up for mega bands from the 90's. So that was exciting! 

What is your next theater project?
Right now, I am gearing up for multiple shows. After Butterfly, I am playing the title role, Frederich Frankenstein, in Young Frankenstein with Theater Arts Alliance and I will also be in Shrek! with the Raisin' Cain Players out of Selma, CA 


Come and see Adrian and the rest of the incredible Butterfly cast on March 4th and 6th at the Main Street Theater in Visalia! 
Tickets at:  Brown Paper Tickets: Madama Butterfly

No comments:

Post a Comment