Wednesday, February 24, 2016

TAA Butterfly Spotlight -- Lauren Farris, "La Madre"

 
 Lauren Farris' crystal soprano tone and perfectly centered pitch make her a favorite in the Tulare County area for some of the most difficult classical works.  Performing works as diverse as coloratura opera repertoire to Bach's St. John's Passion, Lauren is always riveting and beautiful.  Here are her thoughts on performing with the Theater Arts Alliance in Puccini's masterwork, Madama Butterfly...


What made you decide to join the Butterfly cast?

I’ll pretty much sing anything that Puccini has written, given the chance! His music is what made me fall in love with opera over fifteen years ago! I was gifted a vintage copy of the Prima Donna album when I was in high school, and as I was flipping through the book I came across a piece by Puccini and I’ve been hooked ever since.

What is your vocal and theater training?
I have a Bachelor of Music in Vocal Performance and have a diverse performance background- I’ve been cast in lead roles in straight plays as well as musical works and enjoy both, immensely. Along with performing, I’ve been a musical director and/or accompanist for several performances as well. I enjoy being on both sides of the performance process.

What is your favorite part of a rehearsal process?
I really love the initial sight-reading part of rehearsal- I enjoy a musical challenge and testing myself. I also really enjoy the hustle at the end of the process where you’re not sure if everything is going to come together in time and then somehow, it always does!

How is Butterfly different and/or the same as other shows you've done?
I’ve not participated in any local opera performances since moving back to Visalia, so this will be my first one here in town! Although I’ve sung Puccini in recital settings, I’ve never performed even as much as a scene from one of his operas.

What is your favorite section of this opera?
My favorite part is Butterfly's “un bel di vedremo” aria because it’s absolutely magical.

What is your "day job" and other hobbies in life?
My “day job” is teaching voice and piano in various venues. I teach private lessons, I am on staff as a voice teacher at the Ruby Slipper Performing Arts Academy, and also an Associate Voice Teacher for College of the Sequoias. I’m an old soul so in my free time I enjoy sewing, needlework, designing and creating. I also have an online business where I source and resell vintage treasures!

What is your next musical project?
I will be performing as a soloist for the COS Chamber Chorale’s performance of Carmina Burana in May and as a soloist for Poulenc’s Gloria with the TAA in June. I’m really looking forward to both!

 Hear Lauren's beautiful voice and the rest of the #TAAButterfly cast March 4th and 6th at the Main Street Theater in Visalia!
Tickets at:  Brown Paper Tickets: Madama Butterfly

No comments:

Post a Comment