Tuesday, November 1, 2016

#TAAMermaid Cast Spotlight: Haleigh Cook as Ariel

Meet Haleigh Cook, Ariel in Theater Arts Alliance's upcoming production of Disney's The Little Mermaid!

Haleigh shares the role with Megan Forgey, and will be performing Thursday evening, Saturday evening, and Sunday at the 2pm matinee.

We asked Haleigh several questions about life, theater, and playing a major role like Ariel -- here are her responses! 



What is your background in Musical Theater?
I started doing theatre with TCOE when I was seven years old, playing the role of Gretl in "The Sound of Music" and haven't stopped since. I have been fortunate to have been in productions such as "The Music Man", "Beauty and the Beast", "Phantom of the Opera", "Les Miserables", and many, many more. 

What are some of your favorite roles to date?
My favorite roles to date are Cosette in "Les Miserables," Bonnie in "Anything Goes," Little Sally in "Urinetown," and Penny, in an original musical, "At The Chelsea," created by the students and faculty of CAP21, about the Chelsea Hotel. Cosette was a dream role of mine that

challenged vocally and it is one of the most dramatic roles I have yet to play. The most fun I have ever had playing a part was Bonnie because it was all about comedic timing and tap dancing. It was also one of the best casts I have ever worked with. Little Sally is a role that I am very proud of. I loved every moment of working with the talented cast and crew. It also had an amazing script, which is surprising for a musical with an odd title like "Urinetown". When we were tasked with creating an original musical at CAP21, I found it very daunting but the experience of creating and developing a character and storyline was one of the most rewarding I have ever had.

What do you do for work/hobbies?
At the moment, I live in New York City having just graduated from CAP21, a conservatory for musical theatre. I am now pursuing a career as an actor. My hobbies are seeing an occasional Broadway show and trying to finish a book on the subway.

 What is special about "The Little Mermaid?"  About Ariel?
"The Little Mermaid" is special because it is a story that almost everyone connects with in some form. It is about romantic love, yes, but it is also about love of family. The relationship that Ariel and her father have is one that is complicated and yet beautiful at the same time. Also I believe that Ariel's dream to become human is something that resonates with people as almost everyone has wished for something more. Ariel is so special to me because I have found myself relating to her as I too moved to the unknown in New York City to chase a dream that most would consider impossible. She is one of my favorite Disney Princesses and is the one I feel most connected to. She has such strength and self confidence which is so inspiring. I feel so honored to play her. 

How did you prepare for this role?
For this role, I began by watching the Classic Disney movie. I have always been a fan of Disney but I hadn't seen the movie in years. As I watched, I began to see that I understood Ariel far better than I had when I was younger. I also remembered why this music is so inspiring. The music is moving and incredibly beautiful. I especially love 'Part of Your World'. It has always been one of my favorite songs and to be able to sing it is a dream come true. 

 
What have you enjoyed about the rehearsal process?

I have enjoyed returning to my roots in Visalia. I have been able to reconnect with my theatre family that has supported and shaped me into the performer and person I am today. I also enjoyed working with new faces that have been so giving with their talents and make me so excited to share the stage with such a talented group.

Who else in the cast will audiences especially enjoy?
I think audiences will love these wonderful characters, such as Sebastian, Scuttle, Prince Eric, Ursula, and many others, that fill this colorful and vibrant world that is being created at the L.J. Williams Theater. I hope they will find themselves being transported to our magical world that we are so excited to share with them. 

What is your next theater project?
At the moment, I have no set plans in theatre besides returning to the world of auditioning in New York City and continuing to chase my dream of working as a professional actor. 

How is theater important to you personally and to communities?   

Theatre is so important to me because it is in my opinion the most beautiful forms of art. It is about sharing the human experience with other human beings. It is a way of escaping the troubles of the world, it is a way to share stories, and nothing is more magical than a community coming together to share an experience as one. 

Who should see this production of Disney's "The Little Mermaid?"
"The Little Mermaid" is a show for everyone in my opinion. The story is universal because all have felt the yearning for something more. It is for youngest of us will experience the theatre for perhaps the first time as well as the young at heart who will get to experience a world where dreams come true, true love conquers all, and mermaids are swimming just beyond the horizon.



See Haleigh and the rest of the fantastic TAAMermaid cast this weekend! 
November 3rd-6th at the LJ Williams Theater in Visalia... tickets at

No comments:

Post a Comment