Monday, October 31, 2016

#TAAMermaid Cast Spotlight: Megan Forgey as Ariel


Meet Megan Forgey, Ariel in Theater Arts Alliance's upcoming production of Disney's The Little Mermaid!

Megan shares the role with Haleigh Cook, and will be performing Friday evening, Saturday at 2pm, and Sunday evening.  


We asked Megan several questions about life, theater, and playing a major role like Ariel -- here are her responses! 

What is your background in musical theater? 
 I have been in musicals, operas, oratorios, concerts and the like nearly since birth. My first musical production that I remember was "Peter Pan" In Georgia when I was four years old, where I also played a little mermaid! My younger roles included Amaryllis in "The Music Man," and Pepper in "Annie." After that I played Lindsay in "Godspell," Carlotta in "The Phantom of the Opera," Mrs. Pinkerton in "Madama Butterfly," and Joanne in "RENT." I'm thrilled to be a part of this production of "the Little Mermaid," and I'm fortunate enough to be working on Gilda for the opera "Rigoletto." I was also recently a regional winner at the Classical Singer's convention, where I learned much about opera and art songs, and I take lessons in New York whenever I can with David Madore. My vocal coach is Chavaleh Forgey, who I think is a great teacher. -Of course, she is also my mother, so...

Megan as the Wardrobe in Beauty and the Beast
 What are your favorite roles so far?   
My favorite roles have been Pepper, Carlotta, Joanne, and Ariel. Pepper was my first serious role with many lines and solos, and I adored every minute of learning about the character, the setting, and of course, the music. Carlotta stretched me vocally, and Joanne stretched my acting, and I feel like I learned much from both of those experiences, not to mention made some wonderful friends. Ariel is the first time I have ever played a Disney princess, and also the first time I've been a title role, and it's a completely different type of acting to me, though I love it very much. I'm also very fortunate to be double cast with Haleigh Cook, whose talent knows no bounds.


What do you do for work/hobbies?
I am a piano and voice teacher for young students in Visalia -- one of my

students named Jannel Lopez is currently playing the Gull "Camber" in TAAMermaid, and I'm so proud of her and all of my students and their accomplishments and growth. Along with private lessons, I teach at CLIPArts, a program for at risk kids to teach them music and acting, giving them positive outlets and a way to showcase their talents that they might not be able to obtain otherwise. Working with the kids at CLIPArts, and currently Music Directing for their production of Lion King Jr, I'm inspired every day by them and the way they attach to music and how they grow and become the best they can be. Along with this, I am currently studying philosophy and coding, hoping to make animations and video games.  I also love fine art and I spend a lot of my time drawing and painting -- my big art project at the moment is a set of commissioned paintings of the Stations of the Cross for Christ Lutheran Church here in Visalia.

 What is special about The Little Mermaid? About Ariel? 
 The Little Mermaid is a tale of love, of finding oneself, and of following your heart and accepting differences. I think a very important piece of the show and musical is the relationship between Ariel and King Triton. Triton through his daughter's love for the world he turned against eventually grows to accept and care for humans, even accepting his daughter becoming one herself. This message of acceptance and caring for all people is very important to me.



What have you done to prepare for this role?
When I first was cast as Ariel, I was thrilled. I practiced the songs every day, watching and dissecting the film over and over again. Ariel is an iconic character, and part of the trickiness of playing her is balancing a new, fresh take on the princess while staying true to the original material. Along with this, I used the training I've gotten in acting from Chris Mangels at COS, whose classes helped me very much to understand the character and let her become a part of me. I hand wrote out all of my scenes in a separate notebook, and split it into beats and tactics, asking what Ariel/I wanted in each scene, what she was hoping and dreaming for and what actions she'd take to reach those goals.


What have you enjoyed about the rehearsal process? 
 I have loved the rehearsal process. Not only being able to discuss with my fellow actors like Clinton (Prince Eric), Carlos (Sebastian), Chris (King Triton), Elizabeth and Casper (the Eels) about the character's relationships and the way they see the world around us. It's amazing to be a part of building a separate identity, a separate world, and all the while waiting for the best part---the grand reveal, sharing it with everyone in the audience, it's thrilling to me. I love the cast, all the talent in the show is amazing to me, and each one of them worked so hard to bring this to life, and I think we're succeeding. Then even past that, seeing the other cast and the world their creating along side you- it's truly an amazing experience.


Who else in the cast will audiences especially enjoy?
I think each member of this cast is very talented and each one of them have worked hard to bring this show to life. Sammy and Carlos' versions of Sebastian are both wonderful and hilarious. Clinton (Prince Eric) and Chris (King Triton) are wonderful to work with, and are covered up with talent and skill. I have had a great time working with Flounder, and I am sure the audience will really enjoy her high-energy performance. The villains are deliciously creepy-- the Eels, Elizabeth Hampton and Casper Shaw make great counterparts to belter extraordinaire Ali Malingen, who's the best Ursula we could have ever hoped for The Mersisters and Seagulls will have the audiences rolling in the aisles.  Haleigh Cook, my Ariel counterpart, will be an absolutely wonderful Ariel, and audiences will love her beautiful dancing.  Every cast member has worked hard to bring details and fun that will make this a wonderful experience for every age.

What is your next musical or theater project?
My next projects are Music Directing the "Lion King Jr." with CLIPArts, singing the Messiah in Fresno with the Master Chorale, and preparing the role of Gilda in the opera "Rigoletto." I'm very excited about each of these projects.

 
Why is theater important to you personally and to communities?
I think theater is very important in the community because it's a window into both what we hope for and what life is. It's a connection point to what each person holds dear, life, love, happiness, without forgetting the hardships, struggles, and trials life can throw our way.

 
Who should come see The Little Mermaid and why?
I think everyone should be a 'part of our world' and come see the Little Mermaid. It's a wonderfully fun musical for people of all ages, from the little kids who will love to see the Disney show come to life, to life long Disney lovers like myself, to those who may not be so familiar with the show, but will enjoy it nonetheless. It's a fun, energetic, exciting story that can touch the hearts of anyone who steps into the story for a moment. I'm so thrilled to share this with our community, and I hope everyone has a wonderful time.
 
See Megan and the rest of the fantastic TAAMermaid cast this weekend! 
November 3rd-6th at the LJ Williams Theater in Visalia... tickets at Brown Paper Tickets: TAA The Little Mermaid

No comments:

Post a Comment