Thursday, June 16, 2016

#TAABeauty Cast Spotlight: Seth Vazquez, "Gaston"

Introducing Seth Vazquez, "Gaston" in TAA's upcoming production of Beauty and the Beast!
Seth Vazquez is an accomplished and well-established actor and singer in the Central Valley.  In roles as diverse as the thoughtful and romantic Lieutenant Cable in South Pacific to the zealous and passionate Enjolras in Les Miserables, Seth brings a strength and excitement to every stage!  We asked Seth a few questions as he prepares for "Gaston."


Audiences will get to know you on stage -- what do you do the rest of the time?
By day, I am an Emergency Medical Technician (EMT), either on a ambulance or in a hospital ER.  The biggest drive in my life is helping those who are experiencing possibly the worst moments of their lives. As an adrenaline junkie, quick thinking and fast interventions are like second nature to me, so much so that I'm in the process of advancing my education at Fresno state in hopes of becoming an Emergency Room Physicians Assistant (PA) so that I will be able to help more people then ever possible.

How did you get your start in theater?  I started doing theater based on a dare, funny enough. A girlfriend in high school had been trying to convince me to audition for the school musical but I just couldn't bring myself to do so. In fact, I waited until the last 10 minutes of the audition process to reluctantly walk in, but I am sure glad I did. Being up on stage, being someone else, is something that really can't be explained to another: it has to be experienced! For me, the feeling I get on stage is addictive, I think that's what keeps bringing me back to the stage. No matter where I go in life I know that as long as I have a voice and a body to be in, I will find a stage to be on.

Tell us about the character you play in Beauty and the Beast -- Gaston.
I have always found Gaston to be unique in the realm of Disney villains. Where others mirror their horrible intentions on their exterior, Gaston is physically attractive and really drives the
phrase, "don't judge a book by its cover" home. What really drove me to him is his character arch. In the beginning, Gaston is rude, narcissistic, and chauvinist yet somehow remains charming to the audience. Yet as the show progresses his once charming nature morphs into one of malice and jealousy which ultimately drives him to become the villain of the piece.
Gaston is important to the show because I believe he represents the kind of villain we each can become. It's sometimes easy to let your pride get out of control and to think we deserve only the best, as Gaston frequently states. Where Belle represents whole, complete beauty and the Beast represents beauty on the inside, Gaston is extremely important to the message of "beauty is found within" due to his beautiful exterior but not so beautiful interior.



Why live theater?  Theater for me is something that I can always look forward to, it's something
Seth as "Enjolras" in the Fresno Grand Opera
production of "Les Miserables"
that no matter what troubles or obstacles in life I may be facing, I know that in theater and on the stage I can forget about all the outside world and just enjoy what the cast has spent so many so many painstaking hours preparing for the audience.
I believe theater should be a mirror to life. When one goes to the theater to see a performance I believe that it is our job as actors to not only entertain them, but to move them in a way that no other medium can, to make them feel different about the world by having seen our show. I know that is what I strive for every time I step on a stage. And Beauty and the Beast will be no exception -- prepare to cry all kinds of tears, audience!


Who is this show for?  Who should come see "Beauty and the Beast?"
If you live in California, come see this show!!! This cast will represent some of the premiere actors and singer the region has to offer. Children of all ages would love to experience the wonderful magic and touching message of Beauty and the Beast in LIVE ACTION right before your eyes! From the spoons to Belle herself, each cast and crew member has one goal, to make you, the audience, laugh, cry, and experience the magic that is a Disney spectacular. So "be our guest" and discover the true nature of beauty this August only at the LJ Williams Theater!

Come see Seth and the rest of the Beauty and the Beast cast August 18-21 at the LJ Williams Theater in Visalia!  Tickets at http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/2561633

No comments:

Post a Comment