Monday, January 26, 2015

DISASTER!

So THIS happened last night at the LA Theater Center....


A friend of mine told me it was the "most fun he'd had in a theater" before we went to see it and wow, he was not exaggerating! 
I laughed until my sides hurt and that was just during the opening number.  By the end, I was doubled over and hoarse!  The seamless transition of awesome 70s hits into crazy comedy and the shameless advantage taken of "willing suspension of disbelief" was combined with some of the best comic timing I've ever seen and heard, even extending into the vocal arrangements of the songs and the band. 
Lim had the opportunity to study with Seth Rudetsky last summer (and as a side note, he recognized Lim when we ran into him on the street before the show -- that was fun...!)  and it was some remarkable audition training.  Many of the notes Lim took during that experience are staples in my studio and conducting now, and with great success!  So seeing him implement some of that stuff on stage was really fun.  The first time he broke out with "I'm looking for some hot stuff..." I probably deafened the people in front of me -- or would have, if they hadn't been cackling as loudly as I was!


There were no weak links in the cast -- my daughter Megan geeked out as soon as she saw Adam Pascal's (Rent, Chess) name in the program, and he did not disappoint at all.  It was also very fun to see Max Crumm on stage again after seeing him in NYC as Matt in The Fantasticks.  I couldn't decide if my favorite was Andrea Martin (2013 Tony for Pippin, click for acceptance speech) or Jennifer Simard (Shrek, Sister Act, Forbidden Broadway) but both of them were beyond outstanding.  A particular treat was young Baylee Littrell -- yup, son of the Backstreet Boy -- so much talent, both vocal and comic, in this kid!

Seth auctions off an opportunity to co-host "Seth Speaks" after the show


One last special shout-out to the MD, Larry Pressgrove -- ya know, 'cuz this is the most important person, right???  The music was tight and detailed.  Made me happy!

For more info, reviews, and a highlights clip, visit http://www.disastermusical.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment