Saturday, December 20, 2014

Wrapping Up 2014 -- Performing With Kids

Tonight is my last "official" performance of 2014! 

This year I've gotten to work with some of the "best of the best" from lots of different areas and still helping kids make awesome music together is the thing that probably makes my heart go pitter-pat more than anything else. 

LCA Junior Company getting ready to sing with Tulare County Symphony!
So a couple of thoughts...

1) I love working with kids because they are generally not jaded.  They are willing to work hard and get really excited when something is great. 

2)  They KNOW when something is great.  One of my giant pet peeves is that conductors/directors/coaches often underestimate kids.  Young people, regardless of their experience and skill, can do detail work beautifully!  They can have excellent diction, perfect cutoffs, bold entrances, arm angles that match in choreography, et cetera et cetera!  They just need to be taught how and then given enough opportunities to practice it -- and they are more willing to celebrate success than most of the adults I work with!
(and yes, kids can say "in excelsis deo" perfectly -- please believe in them and don't tell them "eggshells!")  ;)

3) Kids help me remember that I love music, and why.  In a month like this when I have played/sang/coached/conducted hundreds of pieces, it can really really become passionless *work*.  But in rehearsal last night, hearing "my" kids really bring it for the symphony rehearsal, I got chills.  They shared their passion.  They filled my heart.  Thank you! 

LCA Junior Company Symphony Rehearsal Snippet!


No comments:

Post a Comment